The ICA, a local church under the Malawi Assemblies of God, began as an attempt to reach out to groups of people that was being sidelined by the great church planting movements of the late 1980s and early 1990s in Malawi, when the Malawi Assemblies of God (MAG) experienced exponential growth. The church, which averaged 150 congregations in 1989, grew to 1500 churches by 1999. The leaders of of the Church recognized that International groupings and the emerging population of professionals had been excluded from this revival.
Rev. Dr. Lazarus Chakwera felt led by the Lord to lead in the development of that type of congregation that would reach this segment. The ICA started during the Easter period of 1996 by Dr. Chakwera and Family supported by a few of people from Kawale Harvest Temple, where he previously pastored for at least ten years. Shortly after the congregation began Dr. Chakwera invited Rev. Dr. Enson Lwesya to work alongside him as Executive Pastor. Over the year, two other congregations were began in Mzuzu and Blantyre. In August 2013 Dr. Lweysa was appointed Senior Pastor replacing Dr. Chakwera as he embarked on the journey of serving the nation though political office.